Official event website: http://tapestryfoundation.ca/content/pacific-spirit-run
Thunderbird Stadium ~ Pacific Spirit Park, UBC
10 km trail run ~ 5 km trail run / walk ~2.5 km walk
All proceeds raised support dementia research funded through Tapestry Foundation for Health Care. Download information about the dementia research project being funded through the 2009 Pacific Spirit Run. .
Why you should care about dementia research …
- Dementia is not a normal part of aging.
- Dementia is a growing concern.
- More than 70,000 British Columbians are living with a form of dementia.
- More women are affected by the disease than men.
- In Canada, 1 in 11 people over the age of 65 have dementia.
- Alzheimer’s disease is the most common form of dementia – accounting for 64% of all dementias.
- Living with it or caring for someone who has it takes a lot of courage and support.
- Research conducted today can lead us to better ways of caring for those affected by dementia tomorrow.