2017 is just around the corner – a new year, a new start – an opportunity to get into shape, be healthy and to get out there in the outdoors and have fun! New Year’s Resolutions are a great way to focus yourself on your goals, but you need to commit to them. Don’t be one of those people who sign up for a year’s membership at the gym, go every day for the first two weeks of January and then are never seen again ;-)
Here are a few great ideas for Resolutions:
- Start a well-rounded exercise program, incorporating strength training (weights), flexibility and cardio. It’s all important .. including the stretching!
- Find a work-out buddy – whether it’s for the gym, for running, cycling or cross country skiing. You’re less likely to bail on a workout if you know someone else is relying on you to turn up. Or, join a running club etc.
- Give yourself a specific goal – sign up for a race (whether it’s a 5km or a marathon, it doesn’t matter) – and tell everyone about your goal. Post it on facebook – let your friends see it – and then hold yourself accountable.
- Be realistic. If you are building up to the Vancouver marathon or half, the Ride to Conquer Cancer or a triathlon, do it slowly and have a plan! Don’t jump in at the deep end and expect your body to like you for it. Chances are you’ll get demotivated and maybe even injured. Find a coach, or check out training plans online, join a club with a similar goal, or just talk to friends who have the relevant experience.
- Track your progress. It’s much easier to stay motivated if you track your progress. Keep an exercise log, or use an app to log workouts.
And have fun! If it’s boring or tedious, chances are you won’t keep doing it. Exercise with friends, your favourite music, or your dog and appreciate our amazing outdoor playground in BC.
Happy New Year everyone!